Windows 8 is Coming

37 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm actually pretty excited for Windows 8!

Basic info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

Some great info here on Windows 8 as well: http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/article2863144.ece

This will be the year those anticipating a new Microsoft operating system have been waiting for. Windows 8 is set to arrive some time in 2012, with new functions, a user interface dubbed Metro that takes its cue from tablet computers and a focus on security.

As with the Windows Phone 7 operating system or the XBox 360 console, there are no longer programme icons, but large coloured tiles that also convey live information. Just like with Phone 7, controls have been optimized for touchscreens, although keyboards and mice can still be used.

Also, because of its mobile focus, Windows 8 will run on energy-saving ARM processors, which, until now, have largely been unique to smartphones and tablets.

If you’d already like a look, check out Windows Developer Preview, which has been set up for free online by Microsoft. There you’ll find a fully functional advance version of Windows 8. A beta version, along with its new app store, has been announced for the end of February.

Testers will quickly notice that the new system starts significantly faster than its predecessors. That’s because Windows 8 stores part of its working memory on the hard drive when it powers down. That means, at start up, it only has to read back this information, much faster than loading up every driver.

Microsoft has also cut down on resources required for operations, meaning Windows 8 system requirements are no greater than those for Windows 7.

Controls have been updated for Windows Explorer. There is now a menu bar, which will be familiar to users of Office 2007 or 2010. The goal is to reduce the confusion of submenus and make it easier to access significant commands more quickly.

It’s also possible to pause orders to copy or move files, even if it’s via network transmission. That means copying and transferring can pick up where they left off if the network is lost. That also means the processes can be delayed if bandwidth drops off, if other jobs have a higher priority. The dialogue box for copying also shows significantly more information, like current network capacity.

Windows 8 has also reworked the mini applications that many people recognise from Windows Vista and 7. The so-called widgets now synchronise their data across all Windows 8 devices upon, which the user is registered. The move is designed to make it easier to use programmes purchased at Microsoft’s Marketplace and, thus, to make them more popular.

Windows 8 is also supposed to be significantly more secure than its predecessors. It supports the Secured Boot function of the UEFI system, which is slowly replacing the BIOS system. That, Microsoft hopes, will make it impossible for viruses to nest in the operating system at start-up.

Windows 8 also stores data in a variety of random locations in the working memory at start-up, which is designed to increase protection against attacks on system data and the working memory.

Windows Defender is another new function. The new version can find viruses, not just spyware. And a smartscreen filter for Internet Explorer 10 should make it harder for malware to worm its way into the operating system. The current version on Internet Explorer 9 only shields against Internet attackers, not locally installed programmes.

The encryption programme Bitlocker makes a return, but it runs faster now. It regularly encrypts hard drives and starts with newly overwritten parts of the drive, which speeds up the process.

Microsoft also put some thought into resurrecting data. When restoring data during start-up or when using the installation DVD, it’s possible to more quickly restore the entire operating system or individual files. The function can also return Windows to its factory settings or delete individual files. The redesign should allow even less experienced users to recreate a system or retrieve data.
1 person likes this

Posted

Awesome, I really enjoyed windows7 and personally dont even see a need for a new windows, but there are some awesome features in windows8, one of them being Windows To Go(http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_To_Go). I guess what they are pushing for is portability and security, even though its aimed at corporations rather than individuals, I would hope that individuals can also get a chance to enjoy the feature.

Posted

Windows 8, IvyBridge, and a 600 series nvidia card. My next PC awaits.

Posted

What are some of the key features that will be an improvement?

Posted

Hmm, I wasn't aware of the next Microsoft OS. Sounds pretty cool.

Posted

IMO I think there won't be a huge upgrade from Windows 7 > Windows 8... This new OS is focused for the new electronic devices: Smartphones and tablets. As for a computer, I don't see a big difference just like there was from Vista > Windows 7 or from XP > Vista.

Posted

Always kind of thought that windows 8 was more of a transition into the touch screen interface market and appealing to the increasing love of the UI it brings. Don't think I'll be upgrading (unless I get a student deal of course), as I've had absolutely zero issues with windows 7. Lets hope there's an overly appealing feature for us gamers :P

Posted

The consumer preview of Windows 8 is out tomorrow, I'll try to post a download link for anyone interested. I tried the developer preview earlier and it was pretty neat.

Posted

It doesn't look like it adds anything I'd use, but I'd like to hear everyone's experiences with it. Especially our resident techies.

Posted

Hey guys,

I've been recently checking out the new Windows 8 OS, and kinda got interested in it's Task Manager bars and what not, though... I'm curious to know what your opinions about this new OS are, if you think its any good or not?. In my own opinion I don't really like the application start up menu that pops up after log in but have been interested in the task manager and the some what clean UI. I'd also like to know what your thoughts might be on it's idk.. effectiveness?? for game play quality, appearance and application management as well as how you think it might perform or if it'll do well against other OS out there.

Cheers.

P.S. if there are any forum rules or procedures that I've missed when making this topic please point them out and I'll correct them right away.

Posted

Nice first post Rylor. I haven't tried Windows 8 yet, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I'm also curious what other people think, and if it will fix some of Window 7's issues. For gameplay some people still say XP is best. I have Windows 7 cut down to bare bones because most of the features are useless to me. I'm sure 8 is probably the same way. :P

Posted

Haha cheers :P, and I see what you mean, alot of my mates too will only use windows XP. As for seeing what it's like for yourself this link;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/download

is where you can download the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but I'd check it out first before downloading it.

Posted

Hey guys,

I've been recently checking out the new Windows 8 OS, and kinda got interested in it's Task Manager bars and what not, though... I'm curious to know what your opinions about this new OS are, if you think its any good or not?. In my own opinion I don't really like the application start up menu that pops up after log in but have been interested in the task manager and the some what clean UI. I'd also like to know what your thoughts might be on it's idk.. effectiveness?? for game play quality, appearance and application management as well as how you think it might perform or if it'll do well against other OS out there.

Cheers.

P.S. if there are any forum rules or procedures that I've missed when making this topic please point them out and I'll correct them right away.

Just gotta search! Merged with a thread I made about this some time ago.

Posted

Cheers Orzs I'll be looking into the info about this. Btw have you gotten the consumer preview on your comp? and hows it going for you if you do.

Edit: Sorry about the double topic post, used the top right search before but got this error: One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

I'll be more careful next time.

Posted

Yup, I searched "windows" to find this one again. :D

I don't have Windows 8 but it is not very different from Windows 7 because the support it does add is mainly for things that my computer will never use (e.g. touchscreen).

I see no reason to move to 8 at this time myself.

Posted

A lot of the 'upgrades' seem useless/make things complicated. It's not like I'd ever use a touch screen so I see no reason to upgrade.

Posted

the window's media center'esque style isn't enough for me to upgrade from windows 7. Then again, if it comes out before i the end of the year i'll give it a try.

Posted

My real joy in my OP was for the purchase of a future Windows tablet or touchscreen laptop which I will be getting.

Posted

I just don't see how windows 8 will ever beat android as a tablet OS

Posted

I feel that Windows 8 will really not be that big of a deal for us. Its focused on a completely different set of goals - namely the tablet environment - than our generally desktop-focused gaming.

Posted

I feel that Windows 8 will really not be that big of a deal for us. Its focused on a completely different set of goals - namely the tablet environment - than our generally desktop-focused gaming.

I remember they were trying to add xbox live in it. I am not sure about the details, but I definitely think they want to make money of gamers for PC.

Posted

They already have games for windows live. And it sucks.

Posted

They already have games for windows live. And it sucks.

Yeah, I am not optimistic that Microsoft can pull off something which can even compete with Steam, as they seem to be too focused on the controller and the XBox.

Posted

I have absolutely no problems, as of right now, with Windows 7, but a new OS is always a good thing as performance gets better and better. I will say, though, that I despise Windows Live and I think it is a complete pain in the butt. I see why Microsoft is doing it from a business perspective but I almost feel like it ticks more people off than anything else. /mini-rant off