• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Odynol

Odynol

I'm Known Here

• Visitor
  • 835 posts
  • Country Flag

Personally I use an EVGA Superclocked Nvidia GTX 570. It's ~90% of the performance of the 580 for ~70% of the price so I think it's a pretty good deal.

Similar Topics: Current Top Picks for "Graphics Cards"

unff

unff

The Invisible

• Visitor
  • 906 posts
  • Country Flag

On now: Buy a 560 (or higher), get Arkam City free

Orz

Orz

S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Visitor
  • 4,543 posts

I will tell you after all the dual screen driver troubles with my ATI card, I'm going back to Nvidia with my next gaming maching (2015 or so).

Orz

Orz

S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Visitor
  • 4,543 posts

So, this came to fruition soon then I thought. My graphics card started having a heat problem last night and I know why - the fan is dying hard. I'm going to be picking up a graphics card today, one of these!

Deft

Deft

GW2 is Coming

• Visitor
  • 4,261 posts
  • Country Flag

Cool, let us know which one you get, and how you like it. I'm looking to upgrade soonish, maybe early next year.

Orz

Orz

S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Visitor
  • 4,543 posts

I went with the 560 Ti DS Superclocked.

If you look at www.hwcompare.com the 560 actually destroys the 460 and I can't spend $500 on a 580 so it seemed a good buy for price and ability. The 560 488 is a better card but with the appeal of devs trying to get games to play on any system it can come down to "how much do you really need". I just like to play, the game doesn't have to look perfect for me to still enjoy it and the card I got will run any game really well.

Greight

What makes the 560 Ti 488 that much better? Is it just cause they slapped more better cores on it since they had them sitting around?

Also, on a side note, how important is VRAM. I hear very mixed opinions about it. Some say its good for performance, others say it really has no use unless you're using a 2500x1600 or larger display. I mean with a really good CPU and more than enough system RAM can't that make up for lack of VRAM?

unff

unff

The Invisible

• Visitor
  • 906 posts
  • Country Flag

WARNING: Extremely simplified analogy follows:

Think of processor cores as mathematicians, and RAM as the mathematician's notebook. Your CPU is a collection of master mathematicians with one really big notebook (or two notebooks if you run dual-channel RAM, but that's beyond the scope of this analogy). The master mathematicians are happy to give internal processes and hardware processes a page or two to write on as needed. Your GPU is a herd of mathematicians that have art fetishes. VRAM is their notebook. Sure, they can borrow a page from the CPU, but wouldn't having their own notebook be more efficient? Also, the more mathematicians available, in either pool, the more resources you have at your disposal, making tasks like drawing triangles faster.

So yes, slapping more cores in because they can makes it better, and VRAM is a good thing in any situation.

Orz

Orz

S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Visitor
  • 4,543 posts

Great explanation unff, +1!

Greight

WARNING: Extremely simplified analogy follows:

Think of processor cores as mathematicians, and RAM as the mathematician's notebook. Your CPU is a collection of master mathematicians with one really big notebook (or two notebooks if you run dual-channel RAM, but that's beyond the scope of this analogy). The master mathematicians are happy to give internal processes and hardware processes a page or two to write on as needed. Your GPU is a herd of mathematicians that have art fetishes. VRAM is their notebook. Sure, they can borrow a page from the CPU, but wouldn't having their own notebook be more efficient? Also, the more mathematicians available, in either pool, the more resources you have at your disposal, making tasks like drawing triangles faster.

So yes, slapping more cores in because they can makes it better, and VRAM is a good thing in any situation.

Wow... I'm just in awe of how amazing that explanation is. It makes a lot of sense when it is put that way.